- Survey on Current Situation of Promulgation of Administrative Decisions in Vietnam, under the Project “Strengthening Access to Justice and Protection of Rights”, sponsored by UNDP Vietnam, chaired by the Administrative and Criminal Law Department, Ministry of Justice, 2013. This survey was conducted in 6 provinces including Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City, Long An, Da Nang, Hung Yen and Hai Phong for qualitative and 300 mail questionnaires for quantitative. This survey is aiming to assess current situation of promulgation of specific administrative decisions in Vietnam. This research is supportive for drafting the Law on Promulgation of Administrative Decision.
- Technical Review Of Vietnam Bar Federation – DANIDA (Vietnam office), 2013. NHQuang&Associates assessed the current institutional capacity of the Vietnam Bar Federation (VBF) to fulfill its mandate with respect to effectively manage the operations of the VBF, including financial management of the basket funds to achieve the KRAs set out in Component II and implement the VBF’s Strategic Plan.
- Assessment of one-year Implementation of Circular 70/2011/TT-BCA and the Regulations on Coordination between the Vietnam Bar Federation and the Supreme People’s Procuracy, JPP and VBF 2013. The Project purposes are assessment of VBF’s impacts in protecting legitimate rights and interests of lawyers, creating the background for discussing and recommending to the Ministry of Public Security and the Supreme People’s Procuracy on the implementation of Circular 70 and the Coordinative Regulations and to recommend amendments and supplementations of related legal documents, facilitating lawyers in their practice. Key tasks include: studying Circular 70 and the Coordinative Regulations; collecting information and evaluations about implementation of the two documents through designing questionnaires, in-depth interviews, and group discussion with lawyers, investigators, prosecutors, officials of related agencies; conducting the survey at 4 provinces including Ha Noi, Ho Chi Minh City, Ca Mau, and Da Nang; preparing the draft report for summarizing survey results; making recommendations and proposals for bettering the implementation of Circular 70 and the Coordinative Regulations.
- Justice Index: Assessment of Distributive Justice and Equality from a Citizen-based Survey, coordinated between VLA, CECODES and UNDP, 2012 – 2013, under the Project 42690 and Project 58492. Key National Expert among 5 experts. Structuring the research, conducting questionnaires and monitoring quality of the survey in 21 provinces in Vietnam.
- Assessment of Effectiveness of Reform Administrative Procedures in the Pilot Courts, Judicial Development and Grassroots Engagement Project (JUDGE), Component 2. Within the project, we evaluated the results achieved from the administrative reforms piloted at three provincial courts including the People’s Provincial Court in Hung Yen, Thua Thien Hue, and Vinh Long. Using the result reporting framework from piloted courts, we designed a survey for targeted groups and citizens regarding reforms at courts, conducted direct interviews with targeted groups, designed and disseminated an online survey regarding Court clerk manual, collected and analyzed data, prepared the report and presentation for the national conference on the results of the pilot court administrative reform processes. We also successfully formulated the Criteria for Quality Management of Court for consistent application nationwide.
- “Survey on Court Administration in Viet Nam”, under the Project “Strengthening Access to Justice and Protection of Rights” (Project 58492) – sponsored by UNDP, steered by the Judicial Reform Secretariat of Judicial Reform Steering Committee, 2011-2013. The Project aimed to assess normative framework of court governance and administration and identify the gaps and shortcomings in practice; to examine the practical situation in which independence and impartiality of the court and judges are enhanced or undermined; to provide new data aggregated from available and independent sources; draw the overall assessment of court administration, to identify key factors to enhance the impartiality, accountability and independence of judicial decision-making, and to provide evidence-based recommendations for enhancement of independence of court and judges in adjudication. For project performance, the key tasks involved designing questionnaire for 2,000 judges at 750 courts nationwide; making pilot survey and interviews; organizing seminar commenting questionnaire; delivering and collecting printed and online questionnaires; conducting field survey with provincial and district courts and people’s procuracies, party committee, people’s committee, and people’s council of 6 provinces and cities; collecting and analyzing obtained data; making report; and holding seminar for commenting the report for finalization.
- Acting as the National Consultant for Korean Trade (Kotra) at the Advisory Council of Administrative Procedure Reform (2012-2013).
- Implementation of Administrative Procedures/Regulatory Reform supported by International Financial Company (IFC), in coordination with the Prime Minister’s Task Force for Administrative Procedure Reform established under the Prime Minister’s Project 30 (2009-2012). Reviewing and making recommendation for administrative procedures relating to business including Consolidation of tax code and business code, Mining licenses, Land and construction, Advertising licenses, Clean development mechanism (CDM), Custom agent permit, Administrative procedures involving Business registration
- GIZ/MARD Project “Biodiversity conservation in forestry ecology system in Vietnam” (Phase I: From August 2010 to June 2013). Participating in studying the legal, institutional, and administrative frame with regard to biodiversity conservation and management of protected areas in Vietnam.
- Regulatory Impact Assessment (RIA) for Mineral Law. Working pro bono to promote our method for regulatory impact assessment. Making the RIA for Mineral Law
- Study of Laws governing M&A in Vietnam – Project 00057741, the Task Force for implementation of the Law on Enterprise and the Law on Investment. Studying the legal framework for merger and acquisition of Vietnam; recommending some legal changes for promoting the activities in Vietnam; Propose the conclusion to whether there should be a separate legal document governing M&A in Vietnam.
- Transformation of Dak To Service, Industry, Agriculture and Forestry Development Company. GIZ 2009. Supporting Dak To Company, Kon Tum People’s Committee and the Program to transform successfully a former Soviet style state owned forest farm into a limited company with hundreds employees; sharing the success experiences to other forest farms in high land area of Vietnam
- Appointed Counsel in Vietnamese Criminal Law and Practice run by Vietnam Lawyers’ Association under the support of “Improving capacity of Vietnam Lawyers’ Association sponsored by UNDP (2010). Reviewing and identifying legal and institutional obstacles for enforcement of the CPC provision on Appointed Counsel; Capturing current situation with empirical statistic and evidence-based analysis on the practice of legal assistance to accused/offender provided by CPC and Law on legal aid on Mandatory Cases; prioritised areas for long-term and short-term interventions for enhancement of Appointed Counsel; making suggestions for policy makers in implementation of the CPC provision and socialisation of legal aid based on results of the research
- Assessment of Practice of Protecting Counsels’ Rights and Interests at local Bar Associations chaired by Ministry of Justice and Vietnam Lawyer Federation with support from the Support Program for Legal and Judicial Reform in Vietnam (Phase III) and Supreme People’s Court (2009). Surveying legal regulations in relation to ensuring legitimate rights and interests of lawyers; summarizing activities of local Bar Associations nationwide in the work of protecting legitimate rights and interests of member lawyers so far; surveying and discovering factors (visible and invisible) affecting rights and interests of lawyers and measures done by Bar Association in protecting lawyers’ rights and interests in 6 provinces; and recommending measures for ensuring the professional practice of lawyers
- Legal framework study for Public – Private Partnership for the Project “Poverty Reduction through Incorporated Support for Small Enterprise Development” – PRISED VIE/05/M01/SID”, SIDA – VCCI Conducting the study and survey in 4 provinces regarding the model for public – private partnership and related legal framework; Prepare the survey report and participate in training the trainers within the project frame; Support in completing the training materials and overall report
- Program for the Development of Small and Medium Enterprises: GTZ and Ministry of Planning and Investment (2009). Being the facilitator for public-private dialogues between provincial leaders and business associations in Hung Yen, An Giang and Quang Nam.
- Training Needs Assessment for Judges and Clerks in Vietnam sponsored by Institutional Support Project (ISP) to Vietnam and the Supreme People’s Court. Performing a survey and assessment of the training needs of judges and court clerks at provincial and district level. The project report also recommends several solutions for the SPS to enhance the effectiveness of training for judges and court clerks
- Vietnam Private Sector Support Program, UNIDO and Ministry of Planning and Investment (2008). Studying the legal framework and practice in relation to business code and tax code, periodic reports of enterprises to business registration offices and taxation agencies for making recommendation of change of current regulations on business, such as consolidation of tax code and business code, simplifying the monthly report and quarterly report
- Study of the Methods, Procedures and Criteria for the Dissemination of Court Judgments (DANIDA). Performing an overall study on the methods, procedures and criteria for court judgment dissemination. Several recommendations have been suggested to the SPC for the preparation of court judgment dissemination
- VIE/02/007, UNDP Supports to Office of the National Assembly, Programming Mission for the Training Center of the Office of the National Assembly. Independent Legal Consultant for identifying training needs of the National Assembly’s Delegates (Parliament members)
- Project VIE 02/015 titled “Assistance for the Implementation of Vietnam’s Legal System Development Strategy to 2010″ of UNDP, SIDA and DANIDA: Performing a survey of Needs of District People’s Courts Nationwide and acting as independent Legal Consultant in various activities, such as advising various departments of Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Supreme Court on UNDP guidelines and reviewing reports
- TF/VIE/03/001/17-63 (UNIDO): Assistance to Establish the National and Provincial SME Support Infrastructure. Legal Consultant for developing an online business registration infrastructure
- CIEM/UNDP VIE01/025: “Comparative Provincial Performance in Attracting Business Investment and Developing Private-Public Partnerships”. Domestic Consultant to recommend provincial competitive capacities for three provinces, Bac Giang, Bac Ninh and Ha Tay, to write the Business Registration Manual, and to recommend a dialogue model between the Government’s Task Force for implementation of Enterprise Law and Investment Law and other stakeholders
- Small and Medium sized Non-State Enterprises (SMEs) Development Program Project of GTZ, VCCI and VCA. Independent Legal Consultant for various studies on SME development and acting as facilitators for some dialogues between provincial government and SMEs
- UNDP’S Appraisal and Formulation Mission, UNDP Support to Strengthening the Capacity of the Vietnam Lawyers Association. Independent Legal Consultant for identifying needs for development in judicial reform of the Vietnam Lawyer Association
VNM/B7/3010/2004/4339, Institutional Support Project to Vietnam. Independent Legal Consultant to identify contents for training sessions for the economic judges